Friday, September 30, 2011

Oh Be Careful Little Eyes . . .

Due Diligence (according to Merriam Webster):

1.  The care that a reasonable person exercises to avoid harm to other persons or their property.

2.  Research and analysis of a company or organization done in preparation for a business transaction.

Due Diligence (according to me):

1.  The care that a reasonable person exercises when selecting library books.

2.  The research and analysis done in preparation of making library choices which would avoid the following scenario.

The sum total of my due diligence on House of Holes was that I had seen the title on the New York Times bestseller list, so when I spied it on the library shelf I grabbed it, along with a couple other familiar titles, and scurried back to work.  So I was a bit . . . uh . . . surprised, I guess would be the word, when I began reading.  It's about this . . . Fantasy Island-type place but it's . . . uh . . . more, uh . . . Well, it's kind of . . . And then there's this . . . this . . . But there's more . . . hmmm . . . well . . .and . . . and . . . yeah.

The subtitle - A Book of Raunch - should have tipped me off, but there's raunch and then there's raunch.   Dave and I both read parts of it - me, because I kept thinking that for this book to be a NYT bestseller, there had to be a plot or a point beyond the. . .the . . .you know; Dave - because I kept saying "I can't believe this is a NYT bestseller.  I just can't believe it."  Neither of us made it all the way through, and I did skim the last chapter looking for the punchline, but no luck.  If you want to know more you'll just have to read it yourself.  But, please, do your due diligence first.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! For me, that due diligence should also be done on bookstore purchases. Note to self: Just because lots of bloggers have reviewed a book, doesn't mean it's good.

    Thanks for the warning. :)

    ReplyDelete