Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bookish Movies . . .

I saw an article recently - no clue where, I've slept since then - about great scenes in movies involving libraries or bookstores.  A few came to mind immediately, and some of my choices were even on the list - along with a lot of movies I've never heard of.  So, I decided to make my own list.   See if you agree with my choices and let me know what you would add.
Favorites Bookish Scenes 

Marion the LIbrarian from The Music Man - I prefer the remake with Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Broderick - but couldn't find a good picture.

You've Got Mail - Independent book store vs. the mega-book store.  Meg Ryan's chidlren's book store looks like a child's fantasy.

Funny Face - starring Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn.  I've always wanted one of those ladders.  And even straight hair and frumpy clothes can't make Audrey look like a geeky bookworm.

A Beautiful Mind - John Nash uses the windows as a white board.


Beauty and the Beast - Everyone remembers the Beast's beautiful library,  but I prefer the quaint bookstore where Belle borrows the same book to re-read.  And there's that ladder again.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I love this library scene just for the quote, "X never, ever marks the spot."  Surprise!

Bell Book and Candle - I admit, this is pushing the definition of bookstore, but it is named Bell, BOOK and Candle.  I include it just because I like the movie.

Searching my memory for bookish movies brought up a couple songs from movies that, even though they aren't about reading, make me think of curling up with a good book.  Enjoy!


"Wouldn't It Be Loverly" from My Fair Lady


"In My Own Little Corner" from Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella.  I prefer the 1965 version starring Stuart Damon and "introducing" Lesley Ann Warren.

4 comments:

  1. All lovely movies! I LOVE, LOVE that version of Cinderella! A couple of years ago my hubby tracked down a copy for me for my birthday and I'm not gonna lie, I cried. Then I made everyone shut up while I watched it and sang along. I was struck by how much of that movie I remembered when I haven't seen it in, what, 40 years at least?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the school library in The Breakfast Club, my favorite. I did love You've Got Mail too. I also nominate The Desk Set (Hepburn,Tracy oldie), some of the scenes in Major League were in a library and funny and The Answer Man (2009) was pretty good.
    Fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking hard on libraries in movies - but I sure did love the book store in You've Got Mail also!! I watch it just to see that book store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Harry Potter? Hermione was certainly very bookish! Love your list. You've got me thinking, too. Maybe they will make a movie out of Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Book Store. I loved reading it! See my post http://wanderorponder.blogspot.com/2014/02/jury-duty-and-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete