Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Needlework Tuesday: Run Run Runners

Last week I showed you the fabric and table runner pattern I got as part of my Shop Hop bounty.  This week, I have the finished project!  I love the colors and the curvy design.  It was easy to make, once I caught on to making my own bias tape, and it fits perfectly on my coffee table.  I did the quilting on my machine - following the curved line on the maroon side and contrasting with straight lines on the gray side. 

The first one was so much fun, I decided to make another using some of Asian panels and coordinates that I also picked up at the Shop Hop.  Since I only bought a fat quarter of each of the coordinates, the first hurdle was making a 36" strip from a fat quarter.  It took a bit to figure out, but I'm pretty proud of how well the pattern lines up at the seam.

The next question was the trim along the curve. Bias strips of the batik coordinate made the first trim, but I like the look of the two trims on the first runner (gray strip plus black rick-rack).  I auditioned a blue batik that matches the blue in the butterflies, and then a green that matches the flowers at the bottom. Neither one looked quite right.  

It needs a touch of gold.  If you look closely (doesn't show well in the pictures) there are shiny gold highlights on the butterflies and flowers.  I have some glittery gold fabric that was in a box of Christmas stuff that belonged to my mother-in-law.  I have no clue what it's made of.  It's looks gorgeous with the other fabrics, but it is awful to work with and melts instantly if touched with a hot iron.  So I'm holding off finishing it until I can get somewhere to look for gold trim.

Here's what it looks like so far.  If you have other ideas for a second row of trim, feel free to throw your ideas out there.

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather at Quilts and Books. Visit her blog to link up your own sewing/crafting post, and to see what everyone else is stitching.






4 comments:

  1. The table runner is gorgeous. Very effective adding the bit of black. there is gold quilters lame. I know my shop has had it in the past. Gold Fairy Frost http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/shop/basics/fairy-frost.html there should be lots of gold fabrics available in the Christmas fabrics.

    I am looking forward a new coffee table that i like so that I will want to keep it clear enough to show off a pretty table runner.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammi,
    Beautiful! Love both of them. Have a great day!!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are both beautiful. I want the top one and the table it is on too! Great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the quilting of one side curvy and one side straight. Very creative and it looks really good. Way to go thinking outside the box! And I like how the darker portion of the Asian print next to the scallops make it look like a shadow under an awning. Pretty prints.

    ReplyDelete