Thursday, May 27, 2010

T&T Bookclub

Necessity is the mother of invention, or so they say - whoever "they" are - so when my sister and I needed a way to stay close in spite of the 250 mile distance between our houses, we invented the T&T bookclub (named after ourselves, of course).  Over the past 12-15 years (can't remember the exact start date - can't ask Sis, she's even older than I am) it has changed forms several times, but the basic idea is that we take turns selecting a book to read and creating a related activity - anything from a simple verbal review of the book, to trying out a recipe, to taking a field trip. 

Sis's selection for June is "Death by Darjeeling", first in the Tea Shop Mystery series by Laura Childs.  From the beautiful picture on the cover to the cut line "Just the right blend of cozy fun and clever plotting", this book looks to be just my cup of tea.  In fact, I purchased the entire series for the library with the intention of reading them myself, but haven't gotten to them yet, so I'm excited to get started.

Our activity to accompany our reading is to take our mom, other sister and as many granddaughters as we can round up for lunch at The Huckleberry Tea House in Concordia, KS (near where Mom and sisters live - I'm the oddball that moved away, but you probably would have guessed that). 

Once again, I'm advocating reading together.  Sharing a book is a great way to maintain or expand a friendship, and a book club for two or three can take on any form that fits your schedule and preferences.  Find a friend and share a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment