Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham


At the first of every month, when the office has reached its pinnacle of hysteria, Maggie, Roxanne, and Candice meet at London’s swankiest bar for an evening of cocktails and gossip. Here, they chat about what’s new at The Londoner, the glossy fashion magazine where they all work, and everything else that’s going on in their lives. Or almost everything. Beneath the girl talk and the laughter, each of the three has a secret. And when a chance encounter at the cocktail bar sets in motion an extraordinary chain of events, each one will find their biggest secret revealed… (from book cover)
I expected this tale of three friends to be similar to Ms. Wickham's (aka Sophie Kinsella) other novels.  In fact, that's why I chose it - I needed something light and fun to listen to in the car while making a mall run over the weekend - but I got much more than I bargained for.

Candice has a chance meeting with a friend from high school who's family was damaged by a business deal engineered by Candice's father.  Her guilt blinds her to her "friend's" machinations and nearly costs her everything.

Maggie gives up her position as editor of a fashion magazine to move to the country and raise a family.  She finds her normally in-charge, capable self completely unprepared for the challenges of motherhood.

Roxanne's long-time relationship comes to an unexpected end, but not for the reason she believes. 

All three of these plots come to a head at the same time and actually made me feel sick about the circumstances that were taking control of their lives.  I think part of the effect this book had on me came from the author's reading on this audio version.  She did an amazing job of conveying the frustration, fear, bewilderment, and grief.  Maybe too good since it was making me physically suffer through it all right along with the heroines! 

Fortunately, all comes right in the end, but in unexpected ways, and again I felt all the emotions right along with the three friends - relief, hope, amazement.  This is a touching, humerous story of friendships that outlast whatever life brings. 

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to get this book. I am going to try to find as an audio like you did. :) I have a terrible time reading British books for some reason. I get caught up on terms. When I listen to them it's a lot easier. However, I also find I develop a British accent afterwards...

    ReplyDelete