Saturday, November 29, 2014

Scooby-Dooby-Do, Where Are You?

I'm still here, just incredibly busy.  Don't tell anyone, but I do a lot of my blogging at work when things are slow but, due to continual problems with our new computer system, I have been swamped.  Time at home has been filled with holiday preparations and working on several Christmas gifts.  There won't be any Christmas gatherings at my house this year so I'm taking advantage of the chance to change up my decorating a little.  For the first time, I have a full-size tree in my sewing/crafting room and I am using only hand-made ornaments.

In the process, I have discovered a new obsession:  origami.  I frequently have lunch at the Chinese buffet near my office, and one of the ladies who works there makes and displays incredibly intricate origami creations, and they inspired me to give it a shot.  Here are my VERY beginner-level creations.

Origami "bows" . . .

and snowflakes . . .


and stars . . .



and wreaths . . .

that convert to "ninja stars".


I've also made paper-pieced Santas, folded fabric Christmas trees . . .



and a Charlie Brown tree skirt.


Today we are at Mitch's for a belated Thanksgiving celebration.  I'm not a fan of Black Friday shopping, but we did make a couple stops late in the day, after the crowds had thinned, and purchased a couple gifts.  We'll return home tomorrow and, hopefully, l'll find time to finish making Christmas gifts and still meet you here for a chat.

How are your Christmas preparations going?

4 comments:

  1. Origami is such fun. Amazing what you can make from a flat sheet of paper. I did lots of it to amuse my kids when they were younger. I particularly like that you can make paper boxes with lids. Made them for everyone at the dinner table one year and put little treats in each box.

    I am knitting a Christmas stocking currently. It's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love your origami ornaments! I've been wanting to do some homemade ornaments; think I'll have to check out some instructions for these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beginner, entry level origami???? They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find origami intriguing, too. My son-in-law made some for my daughter when they were first dating and I thought it was so romantic. A military guy with a Mexican native American heritage and who does origami... aaah...

    ReplyDelete