Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mini Book Reviews: Near Misses

I seem to be in a reading slump lately.  Either I'm choosing poorly or my attitude needs adjusting, but nothing seems to be holding my attention. 

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein:   I know - it's a classic!  You can't pan a classic.  But it just didn't interest me.   I read it in high school and liked it, but remembered very little about it.  When I saw the new movie tie-in version on the store shelf, I was anxious to re-read and see how time and life had changed my perspective.  Evidently I have become more cynical, because the whole realm of wizards, dwarfs and treasures seemed almost silly.  The Hobbit will remain a beloved classic in spite of my opinion but, for me, it was a disappointment.

Technically, I can't review John Grisham's Sycamore Row because I haven't finished it yet.  It's unusual that I wouldn't finish a Grisham novel within a couple days; especially this return to the setting and characters of A Time to Kill - Grisham's best novel to date.  I have read approximately half of the book but, when Dave needed something to read, I handed it off to him.  Whether or not I finish it later will depend on his review.

Time for Me to Come Home by Dorothy Shackleford

Kirkus Reviews said it all:
Nothing great or earth shattering, but a sweet, if clichéd, romantic Christmas tale that will warm some hearts.
The author is the mother of country music singer Blake Shelton, and the story is based on the song by the same name, written by Shelton and Shackleford.   Had I realized that, I might have been less enthused to buy this book.  I have Blake's Christmas album, Cheers, It's Christmas, and I usually skip that track.  

Come back for tomorrow's post, in which I actually like a book.  In the meantime, here's Blake Shelton singing "Time for Me to Come Home" - you make the call.

1 comment:

  1. Your reread of The Hobbit is exactly the reason I'm always afraid to reread books I've liked. It's hard to live up to a first read, especially if you really love the book, and particularly when you're a much different person than you were when you first read the book.

    ReplyDelete