Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Needlework Tuesday

Marie, at Daisy's Book Journal, introduced me to Needlework Tuesday - a group of bloggers who love to sew and craft.  The group was started by Heather at Books and Quilts.  As a long-time crafter, I have decided to join the club in hopes that it will encourage me to make progress on some projects that have been in the works for years (how embarrassing), and maybe even get some ideas for new projects.  When I went to work at the library in 2005, my quilting and cross-stitching came to an abrupt halt.  I haven't taken a single stitch on a quilt since then and have made minor progress on cross-stitch.  So this is my fresh start!

One Christmas some time in the mid 60's, my mother made a slew of red flannel stockings trimmed with white rick-rack and the recipient's name in red felt across a white cuff.  She filled them with dime-store toys and presented them to all of the nieces and nephew's on Dad's side of the family, plus my sisters and I - a total of 16.  I still have mine and treasure it, so when I had kids I wanted to make them each a stocking they could keep.  I have now made a total of 5 - one for each kid, one for Dave and one for our ex-son-in-law.  (Can I ask for it back and change the name for the next guy?)  

Then came the grandkids.  I began stitching as soon as I found out the first one was on the way.  That beautiful little girl, Tayli, died two weeks before her due date and the unfinished stocking went in the closet.  Later, Amy asked me to finish it as a keepsake for her, but I just couldn't bring myself to work on it, so I have purchased a new pattern with cherubic angels to stitch in Tayli's honor - but it's still in the package.  Then came the two little boys.  I have been working on Grandson #1's since he was born and it's still not done.  He's 6!  Grandson #2's sits in the package, patiently waiting it's turn.  With my recent unemployment and increased free time, my plan is to get back to stitching!

I'll post some pictures as soon as I find the cord to connect the camera to the computer.  I know I packed it.  If you're a crafter, please share your ideas, and don't forget to stop by Books and Quilts to see what the rest of the group is up to. 

4 comments:

  1. How fun to find your blog! I started a cross-stitch dinosaur quilt for a nephew. When it still wasn't finished on his 14th birthday, I tossed the whole thing. So I know all about unfinished projects! I host "Finished for Friday" if you want a place to link up your finished projects (of any kind!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit here that I started to cross-stitch a table cloth to use on birthdays when my son was born. He's now 17 and I still have much to go. Perhaps it will be ready for grandchildren.

    I'll be looking forwrd to seeing which project you decide to finish first. And yes, pictures are great. Thanks for joining in Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of crafters have unfinished projects and/or good intentions for new projects.

    Thanks for joining Needlework Tuesday Tami. I look forward to seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't comment on American Idol as I haven't seen TV in over three months. But stitching??? Yes, I'm there. I was the first grandchild on my Father's side. His sister made me a red felt Christmas stocking with decorations and my name in felt letters across the bottom. A four generation tradition was born. Last Christmas, I made one for the new son-in-law and latest grandchild. I made three more for stand-by as I know there will be more to come. Good luck getting all yours done. It's sort of sentimental, but nice to see 10 stockings all the same hanging across the mantle on Christmas Eve, and know that there are 15 or so more hanging just like them across the country!
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete