Thursday, April 26, 2012

Made to Crave by Lisa TerKeurst

Has food become your source of comfort? After a hard day at work, or a long day with the kids, don't you deserve that big piece of chocolate cake? Lysa TerKeurst used to think so, but that was before God showed her that what she really needed was more of Himself. In Made to Crave, Lysa won't tell you what to eat or how much to exercise, rather she explores why we make unhealthy food choices. She'll help you discover what it is you're really seeking, and how that need can only be met in our faithful Heavenly Father. And when your cravings are satisfied with His love, a healthy body will follow  (Focus on the Family Review)

Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman's desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. The reality is we were made to crave. Craving isn't a bad thing. But we must realize God created us to crave more of him. Many of us have misplaced that craving by overindulging in physical pleasures instead of lasting spiritual satisfaction.  This is not a how-to book. This is not the latest and greatest dieting plan. This book is the necessary companion for you to use alongside whatever healthy lifestyle plan you choose. This is a book and Bible study to help you find the 'want to' in making healthy lifestyle choices. (Publisher description)

I have written sporadically about my Nutrisystem journey (3 months and 36 lbs. so far), but haven't mentioned much about motivation.  Honestly, I can't tell you what made me decide to start this.  Not that it's a big secret, I just don't know.  Weight has been an issue for me my entire adult life. I was a 115 lb. little-bit-of-nothing when I graduated high school, but the number has crawled upward for 30 years. I've "tried" a few other weight-loss methods - but not seriously. The thought of giving Nutrisystem a shot has been festering in the back of my mind for ages, but always "when the kids leave home".  Well, they left - nearly two years ago.  I saw a commercial one afternoon and picked up the phone and ordered before I had time to back out.  My incredibly supportive husband, who has never complained or nagged about my weight at any point, agreed to eat the evening meals along with me so that I wouldn't have to cook for him.  He takes care of himself for breakfast and lunch.



My sister mentioned Lysa TerKeurst's book to me about six-weeks in, so I downloaded it to Nook and loved it!  It gave me some much-needed insight into why I eat what I eat, and the reality of "will-power".  There is a big difference between a woman who has a few extra pounds after childbirth or a touch of middle-age spread, and a woman who is a food addict.  It is a proven fact (I saw it on TV, it must be so) that, when seen on an MRI, the brain of a food addict presented with food lights up similarly to the brain of a drug addict receiving a fix. 


A person who views food in a healthy manner - as a necessity to sustain life - can not understand the cravings and irrational behavior of an emotional eater, just as I can not understand a smoker's need for a cigarette.  But Lysa gets it.  Her book is like having a best friend who says "I know! I do the same thing. Here's how I handled it."  And she backs it up with scripture.

I'm not saying that reading Made to Crave has made this change easy, but it certainly has made it easier.  This is not a book for the casual dieter or the latest fad to take off pounds for swim-suit season, but I recommend it - even offer it as a lifeline - to every woman who struggles with her weight, her attitude toward food and her self-esteem.  Lysa showed me I am "made for more".  

3 comments:

  1. I have heard of this book, Tami. Thanks for the review of it. I'm the perpetual dieter, up 35-50 pounds, down 35-50 pounds, up and down, up and down. Right now I'm in the middle, LOL; need to lose about 25 pounds. But it might be interesting to read this to see why after I lose the weight I can't see to keep it off and go back to those old habits of craving and succumbing to those cravings.... I'll have to check it out!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami...Thanks for your visit to my blog, and the comment. I have read Made To Crave and I thought it was excellent! I checked it our from the library, and I think I might need to buy one so that I can pick it up again from time to time to be reminded of why I do the things I do! (:>)

    My daughter Lynnette Kraft's books are two that I would recommend to you. The first book is..."In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me", which tells of God's Faithfulness to her through the loss of three of her children. Then her second book..."He Heard Hannah"..is her story of the loss of her 6yr. old daughter Anna, alonside of the 911 dispatcher who took the call the morning Anna died. He has a daughter named Hannah and he thought my granddaughter's name was Hannah, and as he talked my kids through that tragic situation, hisheart was connected right from the start. It is an amazing story of how his life was forever changed from that morning on. Both books can be found on Amazon.

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that this book has helped you! My struggle with weight didn't happen til I was 30 and now 1 1/2 years after giving birth I am scarily close to the weight I was when I was pregnant! I totally identified with those first few lines.

    ReplyDelete