Friday, April 2, 2010

Old Favorites



I discovered the books of Stephanie Grace Whitson in the mid-90's.  Stephanie lives in Nebraska (and so did we at that time) and many of her stories take place on the wide-open Nebraska prairie in the late 1800's.  Her first triology - the Prairie Winds Series (shown above) - was phenomenal.  I devoured them as fast as I could and passed them on to my friends who, in turn, gobbled them up and passed them on, and naturally they never returned. (It's possible that I never owned all three to start with - maybe one of the other gals purchased one for all of us to share?  My memory isn't what it used to be.)  The point being - I have never re-read them.

I have since read other books by Mrs. Whitson, and they have been enjoyable stories, but in my mind they never measured up to that first series.  I am currently reading her newest, Sixteen Brides, which is shaping up to be a good read, but it got me to thinking about the Prarie Winds series again.  Were they really that good or was it just the time in my life?  Am I remembering the stories correctly? So, I'm on a quest.

They are no longer in print, but I did find used copies on BarnesandNoble.com for $1.99 each - plus $11 shipping.  Yes, I realize the total is still less than an average hardback, but somehow the shipping fee irks me, so before I do that I thought I would put the word out to the blogger universe.  Does anyone out there have this set that they would like to swap?  I have other Whitson titles and other Christian authors I'm willing to part with in exchange. 

There are some books that can't be read enough times.  I have a well-worn copy of "...And Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmeyer; Dickins' A Christmas Carol comes down from the shelf each Christmas; and I've been through the "Cat Who..." series by Lilian Jackson Braun countless times (especially the early ones).  I also have the Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel that I was in love with at one point that I have high hopes of re-reading someday.  What books from your past would you love to re-read if you could track them down? What titles do you keep on your shelf to come back to again and again?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of the Prairie Whitson series but it sounds good. I hope you find them at a more affordable price. There are some book swapping sites that might help you. I know quite a few bloggers swear by paperbackswap.com. That may help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy to received a Google Alert about those first 3 books. Thank you for making my day!
    Just FYI, the Prairie Winds books are available behind a new cover through most of the online book sales sites (or my own web site). I put them back in print with www.iUniverse.com because so many fans seemed to still want access.
    I completely understand used book buying, so don't feel weird because I posted. . . but I wanted you to know that there is a "new" option as well.
    God bless you and grant you a wonderful and blessed Easter celebrating the resurrection.
    Stephanie Whitson

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are honored to have Mrs. Whitson stop by our blog. Thanks for the information on the Prairie Winds series and thank you for the wonderful stories we enjoy so much.

    ReplyDelete