Friday, September 20, 2013

You Say Tomato . . .

The tomato section of our garden has produced abundantly and we have a cabinet and a freezer full of salsa, chili sauce and plain tomatoes to cook with all winter, and still the tomatoes keep coming!  So I've been searching for new and interesting ways to use them.  My adaptation of this quick and simple recipe has become one of my summer favorites.  Here is the original recipe from About.com:


Corn, Tomato and Basil Salad
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. cider or white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 small red onion
3 ears sweet corn
3 medium tomatoes
2 sprigs basil

In a small bowl, mix oil, vinegar and salt.  Finely chop onion.  Add 1/4 cup to dressing, reserve the rest.  Set dressing aside.  Husk corn and cut off kernels.  Core, seed and chop tomatoes. Cut basil into thin strips. Toss corn and tomatoes with dressing.  Sprinkle with basil and serve.

Adaptation #1:  The recipe specified that you will need "the freshest, sweetest corn for this recipe.  The kind that's so tender and sweet you can eat it raw!"  It being a little late in the corn season, that was tough to find, so I substituted the freshest corn I could find, microwaved for 3-4 minutes, then cut off the cob.  

Adaptation #2:  I don't need the extra calories of the olive oil, so I just left out the dressing all together.  I don't core and seed the tomatoes, just remove the stem area and chop.  This leaves a little extra juice that mixes with the juice from the onions and corn and makes it's own dressing.  

Adaptation #3:  I live in Hicksville, where it requires a 20 mile drive (each way) to a supermarket large enough to stock fresh basil.  So I substituted cilantro.  

I serve it as a dip on corn or pretzel chips, or as a topping on bruschetta.


Tami's Corn, Tomato and Cilantro Dip
1 small red onion - chopped
3 ears sweet corn  - wrap in parchment paper or place in covered casserole and microwave 3-4 minutes.  Cut kernels off ears.
3 medium tomatoes - chopped
chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and enjoy.  It's even better the next day.  There are 335 calories in the entire recipe of dip (If you want the dressing, add 120 calories).

Weekend Cooking is hosted by BethFishReads.  It is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page.

9 comments:

  1. I love the way tomato juice makes its own dressing.

    You might try growing basil -- one of my favorite items in the garden. I freeze pesto in ice cube trays -- just perfect for mixing into some tomato dish in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these combinations sound wonderful! I love the idea of using fresh vegetables for a chunky vegetable dip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great thing to make with all of those tomatoes is a spicy tomato jam to spread on bread with brie. And this recipe looks totally delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomatoes are my favourite vegetable_I am always up for another tomato recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These both sound wonderful and yummy! Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes, corn, and basil... you can never go wrong with that combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your substitutions! And I wouldn't make a long drive just for basil either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These just scream 'summer' to me -- considering it's still hovering in the 90s here, they are perfect--yum!

    ReplyDelete