Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Grace Impact

Last August, when our youngest child moved to New Mexico, and I was feeling lost and unsure of my next step, I was inspired by an article in Gracenotes, the newsletter of Nancy K. Grace.  In that article, Nancy was discussing "mid-points":
In the past month I've been diligently editing the manuscript for my first book, The Grace Impact. I made it half way through when I came upon a delay. I had a choice--to let it derail me or to press through, remembering the greater vision of the completed book.
 That's how I felt.  I was at a midpoint and, honestly, I was letting it derail me.  
One of the challenges of the mid-way point of a project is pressing on to finish in spite of the setbacks of tiredness, lack of motivation, or loss of vision for the completed project.
That sentence was the catalyst to the blog series "Life Under Construction", which chronicles my efforts to press-on.  I wrote:
I realize 53 is most likely not the "mid-way" point of my life, but I am feeling a decided tiredness and loss of vision for both the blog and life.  So both are getting an overhaul.  Not just a face lift - although that is part of the plan (figuratively for me and literally for the blog) - but a true remodel; tear away those things that are not necessary for the next chapter and start fresh with only those things which ad value and beauty to my "second half."
Nancy did press on and complete the editing and publication of her manuscript. I was thrilled to get an advance copy and the opportunity to introduce you all to Nancy.  

About fifteen years ago, we lived in Beloit, Kansas, where Nancy and her husband, Rick, pastored the church we attended.  The Graces left Beloit shortly after we did and are now in Arkansas.  You can read all about Nancy's achievements as a gifted musician, speaker, and author on her website; but the memories of Nancy that stick in my mind are of her role as teacher.  I attended several Bible studies that Nancy led and the lessons learned still come to mind frequently, even through the fog that is my memory after fifty.  Her insight, humor and ability to make whatever we were studying "real" inspired me to look deeper into God's word.  


The Grace Impact contains that same impactful teaching.  It is a collection of the "best of" Nancy's writing from her GraceNotes newsletter; thirty devotional readings, centered around 2 Corinthians 9:8 and the theme of - what else? - grace!  

Come back on Thursday, April 16th, for an interview with the author, along with information on where you can get your own copy of the The Grace Impact.  Over the next few weeks I will be sharing on a few of my favorite lessons from the book and how they touched me.

And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.  (2 Cor. 9:8)

2 comments:

  1. So important to focus on those things that add value and beauty - both physically in our homes - and spiritually/emotionally in our day to day living! I can't wait to read more about Nancy and her book! I wish I had known her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tami! I have fond memories of our the time we shared in Beloit. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete