Wednesday, June 8, 2011

And the Blooms Just Keep on Coming...

More things are blooming here on Green Acres and, once again, I find myself clueless.  As I was maneuvering the lawn mower through the overgrown ditch, I discovered this beauty atop a fence post.
It has grown up the fence post and then tangled amongst itself to make a ball of flowers.  I was sure there had to be a flowerpot under there somewhere, but it is completely supporting itself by winding around it's own stems.  I believe I can identify this as clematis - but feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.  And how do I go about getting a start from this plant? Collect seeds?  Take a cutting?  I would really like to have it growing on the trellis by the house.

And the peonies are here.  We knew there was a bush with white blooms in the front yard, but I discovered three more out by the road near the clematis.  They were buried among weeds that hadn't been trimmed for who-knows-how-long, but once Dave cleared away the junk, we had beautiful light and dark pink varieties.



Next, this scraggly looking bush that I had actually wanted Dave to remove, began blooming in the most amazing shade of neon pink.  And, lo and behold, as Dave continued clearing brush and dead trees, we discovered it comes in a white variety also. Anyone have an idea?






Then there is this huge bed of what we assume to be some variety of hydrangeas??  The blooms are a rather unimpressive green/yellow at this point.  I read somewhere that the bloom color can be influenced by the acidity of the soil.  Anyone able to verify this?
Coming soon:  Tons and tons of lilies, at least some of which are bright orange.  We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Tami...what lovely shots. I love this time of year, with so many different varieties in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the first one is a clematis. My 'container plants' book says this about propagation: by semihardwood cuttings in June or July in a warm propagating bed.

    And yes, you can change the color of hydrangeas by changing the acidity of the soil - usually adding a few nails (i.e. iron) will do the trick (mostly changing them from pink to blue or the other way around, I don't remember).

    ReplyDelete