Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Paris in July

Oooh-la-la!  Tamara from Thyme For Tea and Karen at BookBath are hosting the second annual Paris in July - "a month long blogging experience to celebrate our love of all things French and Parisian."  Since I'm not sure that I actually have a love for all things French - my vocabulary is limited to "a la mode" and "cafe au lait" -  my participation should be classified as Paris-Lite.

After minutes of deep thought, stealing ideas from other blogs, and scientifically cross-referencing them with my local library's catalog, my plan is to devote at least one post per week to the French theme, with one week devoted to each of the following topics:

Movies:  Gigi, a 1958 film starring Leslie Caron and Maurice Chevalier is my pick for movie week.  (I told you I was going lite - no subtitles for me.)

Music:  I plan to investigate the music of composer Claude DeBussey and coloratura soprano Natalie Dessay, among others.

Books:  Chocolat by Joanne Harris.  Loved the movie, and isn't the book always better?

Food:  I received both volumes of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking as a gift more than a year ago and so far I've tried a whopping three recipes.  I'm breaking out the cookbooks and cooking French in July.  (Is there such a thing as "lite" food in France?  July's too hot for heavy meals.)

I might throw in some study of French art and a second book if there is time.  How about a few classic French films - like Ratatouille, Beauty and the Beast, DaVinci Code, or Home Alone (give me a break - the family is flying to France!).  Dave's additions:  The French Connection and the complete series of Pink Panther films.

If you would like to participate in Paris in July, go here and leave a comment.  Even if you don't have a blog, join in and leave your comments here or on one of the host sites.



Joignent à moi pour Juillet.*


* ("Join me in July".  If that's incorrect, blame Google Translate).

No comments:

Post a Comment