Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You Can't Teach an Old Dog . . .

You know what they say (whoever "they" are) - You can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Perfect!  That must mean I'm not old!  Along with the fun of making new friends, and the catharsis of writing, having a blog and reading other blogs has served a third, more unexpected, purpose - learning new tricks.  Every now and then I read a post and think, "I've never heard of that."  Here are a few examples for the past couple weeks:

Zentangles - According to the creators (www.zentangle.com), "Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is a fascinating new art form that is fun and relaxing. It increases focus and creativity. Zentangle provides artistic satisfaction and an increased sense of personal well being.  We believe that life is an art form and that Zentangle is an elegant metaphor for deliberate artistry in life."  If you remove the zen element, this is remarkably similar to doodling, but with a more deliberate intent.  I'm a champion doodler from way back, so I think I'm a perfect candidate for Zentangles.  I learned about Zentangles from Cheryl at Grandma Coco's Designs.  Visit her blog and check out her gorgeous drawings - zen and otherwise.

Solar Cooking:  This also came from Cheryl at Grandma Coco's Designs.  She and Mr. Coco built their own solar-powered oven on their deck.  I guess if we have to put up with summer temperatures, we might as well use them productively.  I really want to give this a try.


Rain Chains:  Marie at Daisy's Book Journal is making her own Rain Chain.  What is a rain chain, you ask?  Me too!  A rain chain replaces unsightly downspouts on your house.  They can also be used as part of a decorative water feature.  They can be as simple as a basic heavy-duty chain, or more intricate like the one in the picture.   They can empty into a standard downspout trough, a water collection barrel,  a decorative bowl with drain, or even into container gardens.  Now that I've seen them, I have to have them.  Our house has two downspouts in very unfortunate locations, but no way to move them without rehanging the entire gutter system.  Rain chains would be a much more appealing solution.  Try a Google image search for dozens of variations.


No telling what new things will surface in the blogosphere tomorrow.  Hang around.

2 comments:

  1. Those Zentangles are pretty cool! I'm going to have to investigate that further. Who doesn't like doodling? I also love the solar oven.

    As for the rain chain, I can't wait to install mine. I'm now thinking of other downspouts I can replace. I'm salivating over the copper ones, so I just might have to get one of those after I see if my homemade one works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain chain sounds and looks pretty cool.
    Not so sure about the solar cooking. It sounds a bit like my dad's experiment with a reflection oven and that was a total disaster!!!!

    ReplyDelete