My first project - a Prayer Flag for our nation - was inspired by an image on Facebook of an American flag created from vintage ribbons and trims. I didn't have enough red, white and blue trim (vintage or otherwise) to make a flag, so my version used fabric scraps.
It flew on our front porch all weekend and will remain there indefinitely.
Project #2 was the baby quilt I'm making for my great-nephew - due on July 19th. This was my first attempt at this style of border and, I have to admit, I'm pretty proud of those mitered corners. I'm trying another new (to me) method in the finishing of the quilt - "machine tying". Rather than hand typing and leaving the ends of the thread or yarn loose, I tacked the corners of each square with zig-zag stitching. Much faster and neater than hand-tying and also disguises triangle points that aren't perfect. I have completed the tacking on the inner section. I just need to find some red thread and tack at 4" intervals all the way around; then add the red binding.
During breaks in quilting, I whipped up a journal cover. I journal almost daily and I am frequently tempted by the beautiful journals I see, but the cost can be prohibitive. I used to stock up on plain school-type notebooks during the Back-to-School sales. They were economical (5/$1 in the mid 90's) but not very attractive. A fabric cover is the best of both worlds. I used a fat quarter I had picked up months ago just because I loved the sewing motif; and a strip of a reproduction vintage floral that Amanda gave me for Christmas. After the cover was complete, I decided it needed a pocket for a pen and highlighter. I fussy-cut the pocket from another fat quarter purchased on a whim. If I had thought of it sooner, I would probably have re-arranged the pocket and contrast strip - but I'm happy with it anyway.
One more fabric strip helped finish off the interior flaps. My cover fits a standard9.75x7.5 composition notebook that costs around $1.50 each, but could easily be adjusted to fit any size. Best of all, when it becomes worn or stained, or if I'm just tired of it, I can create another.
For hand-work, I tried a new technique for loom knitting, but this post is long enough so I'll save that for next week. If anyone has experience with "double pegging", let me know. I could use some help.
Hope you had a great week of stitching. If so, visit our hostess, Heather, at Books & Quilts and link up your post. If not, stop by to see what others are stitching. You might be inspired.