Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Needlework Tuesday on Wednesday...

Once again (see previous post) the flu interrupted my schedule so I'm a little behind on this, but wanted to share my current obsession (I have many and they change frequently):  Loom knitting

I while back I discovered "spool knitting", which was a lot of fun, but the end product was a bit useless, so I invested in a knitting loom (under $15 from Wal-Mart) and I'm hooked.  I've tried regular knitting several times over the years but never really mastered the tension issues.  Loom knitting produces similar results to regular knitting, but with less frustration.  I spent the first couple days experimenting with various sizes, yarn thicknesses and stitches - knit a few rows, tear it out, try something else.  I finally settled on mastering basic knit/purl and created this test piece:

I was pleased with the evenness of the stitches and the various combinations of knit/purl, so I decided to try an actual project.  I settled on making a scarf from some novelty yarn I had on hand. Because of the novelty of the yarn, I am keeping with straight knitting.  

I have two questions for you experienced knitters - loom or regular: 
  1.  How do I keep the bottom edge from curling?
  2. Will one skein of yarn (139 yards) make a scarf long enough to be worn?  I'm considering stitching the ends together to make an "infinity" style, but it would still need to be 40" long or more.  Should I be searching for more yarn to match?

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather at Books and Quilts.  Visit Heather to see what others are stitching or to link your own creations.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your knitting. You can often flatten a curling bottom edge with blocking, after it is finished (sometimes, the side edges curl, too.)

    ReplyDelete