Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Return of the Bag Lady

I think I may be a bagaholic.  But since there are no twelve-step programs for that - yet - I'll just keep sewing.  This time I got hooked on the Tulip Purse.  I purchased the pattern at a local quilt shop, but I have seen it available on-line as well.  The pattern comes with four sizes and is moderately easy to make. 

My first Tulip purse was a size small, but it's plenty big enough for what I usually carry.  I really like this bag because it is sturdy (thanks to iron on fleece) and opens wide to avoid digging for things.  The only change I would make would be the length of the closure flap.  I used a magnetic closure - the button is just for decoration - and I should have shortened the flap and put the magnet closer to the top of the purse.   I like to keep my cell phone in the outside pocket, and the way that the flap overlaps the top of the pocket makes it inconvenient. 



 My second bag was from the petite size pattern.  I used a loop and button closure on this one but I much prefer the magnet.  The pink trim along the top of the pocket was my own addition.  I just thought the "Zentangle" fabric needed a splash of color.  The pattern also comes in large and jumbo - but I haven't tried them yet.



In my first Bag Lady post, I mentioned making the Updated Classic Duffle for Amanda, but I forgot to take a picture of the finished bag before she went home.  I remembered it while I was visiting her recently, so here's her duffle bag.  This is a super easy way to install a zipper in a fully lined bag.   For details, refer back to the original post.


My niece, Kate, spent a weekend with us and she wanted to sew.  This was rather spur of the moment, so I didn't have anything planned, but we found enough coordinating fabric to make pillowcases.  Kate did a wonderful job!  This is only her second time sewing.  

Kate made the medallion print and I used a retro Christmas print.
And I saved the best for last - doll blankets to be distributed (along with a doll) to abused and neglected children.  I had several packages of pre-cut 2 1/2" squares, so when I heard about this opportunity to donate doll blankets, I decided they would be quick and pretty. I sorted the squares according to color and added borders from scraps I had in my stash.  I ended up making 7 quilt-tops.  The seventh one, made from all the leftover pieces, isn't pictured.  I'm using a quick method to finish them - cutting the back slightly larger than the top and folding the extra over to make the binding, then tying the quilt rather than quilting.  I already have ideas for some more simple blankets to make when these are done.

This post is linked to Needlework Tuesday, hosted by Heather @ Books and Quilts; and Inspiration Monday, hosted by Trish at Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity.

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I've always wanted a quilted bag, but haven't tried one yet. Yours are very pretty! Love the doll quilts. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look professional, Tami! I've been collecting purse patterns on pinterest. I need to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Tami, I love the baby doll blankets! What a wonderful thing to do for children who are going through so much. They will treasure those gifts.

    ReplyDelete