Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy New Year

I am not a fan of celebrating New Year's Eve.  In our younger years I dreamed of the perfect New Year's Eve - it would be fun and romantic and just like in the movies.  Never happened!  And every year I was disappointed and vowed that NEXT YEAR would be better.  I finally outgrew that.

Then came the years of making New Year's Resolutions - or more precisely THE New Year's Resolution.  For twenty years, no matter what else I hoped to do in the next 365 days, losing weight was at the top of the list.  Until about January 15th when I returned to my unhealthy, self-indulgent habits.  But NEXT YEAR would be different.  And it was - I had MORE weight to lose.

Why am I talking about New Year's Eve when we haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving yet?  Because this year IS different.  This year I made a commitment - I went "all in" as Dave likes to say - and I'm doing it.  On January 19th, 2012, I began Nutrisystem and have, to date, lost 52 pounds.  It's been difficult and rewarding and exhilarating and frustrating and painful.  And it's not over.  There are seven weeks left in 2012 and I have 8 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight.  The New Year's Eve of my dreams is in sight and I'm putting this out here for all to see as additional motivation for myself.  It would be so easy to say "52 lbs is good enough.  I can quit here and be satisfied."  And I could.  I'm happy with the way I look.  I don't have to shop at Plus Size stores any more.  I don't cringe when someone pulls out a camera.  But I have to finish it.  I am determined to end 2012 by saying "This was the year I did it!"  Not "the year I did MOST of it". 

And, hopefully, I can encourage any of you that set the same goal year after year - not just weight loss, but whatever makes you stop every December 31st and think THIS will be the year, THIS time I'll do it.  I would appreciate your prayers for the rest of the year.  I need to work hard to ensure I make it and I can't finish this without God's strength.  But I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13).  And on January 1, 2013, I will be looking for the next challenge.

5 comments:

  1. I will be praying but even more than that I am saying thanks for showing me that this can be done by real people - not just celebrities with chefs and trainers. You are an inspiration to me in so many ways. It has been fun joining you on this path. Love you lots and so very proud! And I'm planning something special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Tami! You deserve a trip to the ocean. I keep telling my husband he needs to try nutrisystem. How are the meals? Did you still have to cook for Dave? My hubby is Dave too! Will New Year's Day bring us before and after pics? My daughter in law lost 60 lbs. she is an excercise junky now! I have not been to West Palm beach. I grew up in Cocoa Fl. Right near Cape Canaveral my step mom just sold a mobile home in west palm. Hubby wanted to buy it but I said no, no! Have a great time in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was curious as to why you had a Happy New Year post. This is such an inspiration and I hope to finally achieve some of my goals. Slow and steady is my motto. If I wait until the new year and set all kinds of goals for myself, I know I'm setting myself up for failure. Hearing about your success inspires me. And you can totally do it!! Keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go.....I applaud you! I haven't reached your success yet but I also started mid January 2012 and haven't given up. I hope to see my goal a year from now. I am unable to much exercise so it's basically just my eating habits that have changed. I have lost 30 pounds and I'm pretty proud of that. I have another 50 to go. I have been on a plateau for 3 months so I'm changing things up but I will never give up! When I get down I have to remind myself..."I have lost 30 pounds" and that is an accomplishment in itself! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete