Monday, November 19, 2012

Totally Random Book Puzzle: The Answers

The ballots are in, we've double-checked for voter fraud and recounted Florida - and the winner is:

Congratulations, Peggy!  I'll be contacting you by email for the details on your prize.

Peggy correctly identified all 24 books in the puzzle.  Marie from Daisy's Book Journal was a close second with 20 correct - and also the only participant to include the author's name.   Bybee @ Blue Hearted Bookworm identified twelve, and Diane from Bibliophile by the Sea found seven.  

Here are the correct answers - top to bottom; left to right - or as close as possible -
Row 1:
  • Ann of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery
  • Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
  • 11/22/63 by Stephen King
  • Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
  • Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder 
Row 2:
  • The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun (No one got this exactly right - but close enough)
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  • The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
  • Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Row 3: (with a zig-zag in the middle)

  • Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
  • The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
  • Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • Gunn's Golden Rules by Tim Gunn
  • "...And Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer
  • The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Row 4:
  • The Quilt by T. Davis Bunn*
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
  • Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
  • The Racketeer by John Grisham
*The Quilt was a bit of a trick question.  I showed the entire title in the little bitty picture in the lower left corner because it is not a well-known book and there is nothing distinctive about the cover that I thought should be a hint.  However, I wanted to include it because it has been one of my favorites since it came out in 1993.
The Quilt is the story of Mary, an elderly grandmother whose gnarled, arthritic hands have a beauty all their own. They represent so many skills, so many memories, so many stories to be told. In the twilight of her days, Mary felt a gentle yearning in her heart - there was something left undone. When Mary becomes convinced that the task still unfinished is to make one more very special quilt, with every stitch sewn in prayer and thankfulness, the impact on her family and the surrounding community cannot be contained. No one who gets involved with this quilting project will ever be quite the same again!
It's the perfect story for Thanksgiving week - and can be read in an evening.  I'll be pulling out my worn and underlined copy for a re-read this week.  I recommend you join me if you can.

Thanks for playing.  There will be a new puzzle featuring Christmas movies and TV specials coming on December 1 - so start studying up.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Tami! It was so much fun! Sorry I didn't put the authors too. There were some tough ones in there but I put my sleuthing skills to the test and had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Quilt - If I don't have that I will get it on my Kindle and enjoy it for Thanksgiving - good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look into the Quilt; great review of it! Congrats to the winners! Honestly, I looked at it and could only identify at the most five; I'l lhave ot see if I do better with Christmas movies!

    betty

    ReplyDelete