|Sackett and the kids - Christmas 1992|
- Gabby - a Mastiff mix, age 3, that we got from a rescue shelter in Iowa that had saved her from being put down at the pound in Kansas City.
Debby at Just Breathe shared this cute post a couple days ago and I loved it. So, with her permission, I am passing it along.
A Dog's Purpose
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The Dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and were hoping for a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia rocedure in their home. Rone and Lisa thought it would be good for six-year-old shane to observe the procedure.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for awhile after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how t live a good life -- like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The boy continued, ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''
|Josie and Grandson #1 - You can read Josie's story here|
- When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
|Or at least wake them in the morning.|
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
- Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
- Take naps.
- Stretch before rising.
- Run, romp, and play daily.
- Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
- On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
- On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree
- When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
- Be loyal.
- Never pretend to be something you're not.
- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
- When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
- Enjoy every moment of every day!